The 54th Georgia Infantry Volunteers were first formed in May of 1862. They were part of General Hugh Mercer’s Brigade which had carried Charleston Depot battle flags as part of General William H.T. Walker’s Division. Assigned to General Patrick Cleburne’s Division in late July, 1864, the brigade finally received their Cleburne/Hardee battle flags after Atlanta’s fall, just prior to the Tennessee Campaign.
By 1865, the Southern armies had taken so many casualties that they were consolidating units together to maintain their ability to fight. Two such units, the 4th Battalion Sharpshooters and the 37th Regiment Georgia Infantry were joined together with the 54th Georgia Volunteers Regiment in April of 1865 in North Carolina.